Leftover chicken combined with spinach and crumbly feta turns into a Mediterranean style wrap that’s perfect for a quick and healthy lunch.
Wraps are my idea of the perfect meal, and chicken wraps top my list.
All you need to do is take the ingredients you have on hand – a little protein, veggies and a whole grain tortilla, and you’ll have everything you need for a balanced meal.
These days there is a variety of tortillas you can buy at the store. You’ll find spinach, sun dried tomato, high fiber, and low fat. I go for the high fiber wraps. I love their taste and texture, and they are a bit thinner than the standard tortilla, so I find they roll up easier. Besides, they are a healthier choice.
I must admit that it took my husband a little time to appreciate the higher fiber wraps, but now he doesn’t complain. We had the same experience when we switched from white to wheat bread, and white rice to brown rice. It’s all in what you get used to.
This wrap has a Mediterranean twist. Leftover chicken from the night before is sauteed with colorful bell peppers, woodsy mushrooms, wine, lemon and a little oregano. With the addition of some creamy feta cheese, I have my Mediterranean meal in a wrap.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, red, yellow, or orange thinly sliced
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup low fat chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked, and chopped
- ½ cup fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 4 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add bell pepper and cook for 3 - 4 minutes to soften. Add onion and cook another 5 minutes to soften. Add wine, chicken broth, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Cook 25 minutes until cooked down, and vegetables are very soft.
- Add cooked chicken and spinach and cook until spinach just wilts.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then fill with 1/4 chicken mixture, feta cheese and parsley.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Chicken is a complete protein, with less saturated fat than beef. Much of the fat is in the skin, so it is best eaten without the skin, with chicken breasts being the leanest choice. Chicken provides 67% of your daily protein needs. It also has cancer protecting B vitamins, including Niacin and B6 for energy.
Spinach is another powerhouse of nutrition. Spinach contains iron for energy, and vitamins C and A, folic acid and B6 to help your heart. Spinach has 13 different flavonoid compounds that function as antioxidants, and as anti-cancer agents.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 15.08g
Total Carbs: 12.97g
Dietary Fiber: 3.97g
Old Weight Watchers Points 6
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.