I’m having a ton of fun with my spiralizer, and since I’m on a Thai kick lately, why not make a chicken and zucchini noodle soup?
Spiralizers are the latest trend in cooking tools, and there’s a good reason for it. They turn boring chopped vegetables into coils of fun.
While I admit my handy device takes up space in my cupboard, it’s space I’m willing to give up.
My first attempt with my newest gadget was to serve this spaghetti sauce with zucchini noodles. Friends were dubious, but happy and satisfied by the end of supper.
I was concerned that cleanup would be like other “handy” kitchen slicers I’ve had in the past that required a steel brush to get into crevices. I was pleasantly surprised that my spiralizer took seconds to clean.
Zucchini noodles make this chicken soup fun soup to eat, but it’s the heady Thai flavored broth that we drank to the last drop. This broth is infused with chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce (tamari if you eat gluten free), a splash of fresh lime and chopped cilantro. It’s a spicy combination with kick.
At just a few hundred calories per bowl, this lively chicken soup is definitely on my make-again list. There’s always bits of leftover beef or pork I could chop into the pot. Shrimp would be great too, wouldn’t it?
Enjoy your week! Seattle is looking forward to several days of sunny weather, so we’ll be working on the yard to get ready for Daughter Rimmy’s upcoming wedding. Fun times!
It takes just a handful of ingredients to make this colorful Thai chicken and zucchini noodle soup.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, or more if you like it hot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium zucchini, either cubed into small pieces, or spiralized
- 2 large carrots, shredded or spiralized
- 4 large green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat with sesame oil.
- Add chicken, chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cook stirring frequently until chicken is just cooked through, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, zucchini, and carrots. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice, cilantro and green onions.
Food energy: 220kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 1.21g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.25g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.02g
Total fat: 5.47g
Calories from fat: 49
Carbohydrate, by difference: 10.90g
Total dietary fiber: 2.94g
Total lipid (fat): 6.74g
Total sugars: 5.45g
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”