This super creamy cauliflower soup with sweet leeks makes a healthy workday lunch or light dinner.
I do this all the time. I buy a whole head of cauliflower, then it sits in the refrigerator. But I’m changing my ways with this cauliflower soup.
I couldn’t possibly tell you why I do this, but I see that head of cauliflower every day in the vegetable bin and I don’t cut it up for veggies and dip – I don’t steam it for a side dish – and I don’t roast it in the oven. I just look at it, then close the drawer.
When it starts to look like I’m going to have to throw it in the compost bin, the guilt overwhelms me. Now I’m in trouble. I have a whole head of cauliflower that I have to use, and only two people to eat it.
How did I solve my dilemma? Cauliflower and cheddar cheese sounds like a good combination, doesn’t it? I made a soup!
Cauliflower has so few calories and no fat, so I can afford the calories in the cheese. Now I’ve used up the whole head of cauliflower! Sweet, oniony leeks that came in my vegetable delivery really tied the cheese and cauliflower together. Now I had creamy, cheesy soup for dinner, and a few healthy lunches for the week.
Can’t beat that!
- 1 head cauliflower, Trimmed and broken into florets
- 1 1/2 cups leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thyme, fresh leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 12 ounces fat free evaporated milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- 1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks. Cook 5 minutes until softened. Add cauliflower, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and vegetable broth. Simmer for 30 - 40 minutes over medium low until vegetables are very tender.
- 2. Remove from heat and either blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. If you use a blender, return the mixture to the pan and add evaporated milk and cheese. Cook over medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- 3. Serve topped with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 308, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8
Total Fat: 14.89g
Total Carbs: 25.78g
Dietary Fiber: 4.50g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.