What kind of sandwich eater are you?
Are you the person who adores a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day for lunch? Or do hot, beefy sandwiches with crusty bread dipped into a savory sauce make you a happy camper.
Maybe you’re a wrap kind of person. You love taking your favorite ingredients (in my case this roasted vegetable wrap), and folding them up into your favorite tortilla.
Do wraps qualify as sandwiches?
Or is it toasted cheese that makes you drool? You love melty cheese oozing between two pieces of bread. (Not much oozing here – this is a low calorie, healthy cooking blog.)
While I like all varieties of sandwiches, panini sandwiches top my list.
I like the fact that I can have a toasted sandwich without all the added fat required to make a crusty sandwich in a pan on the stove. I just spray my panini grill with olive oil cooking spray and it’s ready to go.
This turkey panini gets a punch of flavor from a creamy feta sauce and roasted red peppers.
With all that tender turkey, cheesy sauce and crusty bread, even my peanut butter and jelly eating husband ate every last bite.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- ⅓ cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces extra lean turkey breast, cooked and sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 2 cups spinach, leaves
- 4 slices 100% whole grain bread
- Combine feta, olive oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise and oregano in a bowl.
- Preheat panini grill, or a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat.
- Spread one slice of bread with half the feta mixture, then top with turkey, red onion and spinach. Top with another slice of bread.
- Place in panini grill until the sandwich is heated through and nicely browned.
- Or spray the skillet liberally with cooking spray and grill until the sandwich is lightly browned on one side. Flip and brown on the other side.
Calories: 391kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10 Saturated fatty acids: 5.62g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 7.64g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.84g Total fat: 16.10g Calories from fat: 144 Cholesterol: 69mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 30.35g Total dietary fiber: 6.14g Protein: 29.48g
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.
This easy sandwich recipe