I’m not one to use my calories for the day on a sandwich, I’d rather save them for a juicy steak and potatoes for dinner, or Skinny Cow ice cream at the end of the day.
But every once in awhile the craving for a melted cheese sandwich hits, and I’m willing to use those precious calories and skip dessert.
When I discovered this whole grain flat bread at Albertsons, I knew it would make a terrific turkey melt. All I needed was Swiss cheese (the combination of Swiss and turkey can’t be beat), and a creamy dressing.
If you’re not a Swiss cheese fan, this recipe for Turkey Panini’s with Feta Cheese Sauce was definitely a hit.
Simply follow the same directions for the sandwich above, but replace the Ranch dressing with this feta cheese sauce.
- ⅓ cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
Either way, you’ll have a cheesy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, sandwich for lunch that is definitely worth the calories.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Shake It Up! If you can't find whole grain flatbread, 100% whole wheat sandwich bread works just fine. No turkey? Leftover chicken would be terrific. Don't like Ranch dressing? Low fat mayonnaise and a spicy mustard be perfect.
- 2 ea Flat Bread, 8" round
- 2 tablespoons low fat Ranch dressing
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 slices low fat swiss cheese
- 3 slices deli turkey breast
- optional 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or thyme
- cooking spray
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Spread Ranch dressing over one piece of flatbread.
- Layer spinach, turkey then Swiss cheese and top with the last piece of flatbread.
- Generously spray the skillet with cooking spray and add sandwich.
- Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until the first side is browned.
- Then flip and cook another 3 - 5 minutes until the second side is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Cut into quarters.
Calories: 309kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8 Saturated fatty acids: 1.93g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.29g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.46g Total fat: 4.69g Calories from fat: 42 Cholesterol: 29mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 42.26g Total dietary fiber: 5.23g Protein: 25.12g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.