I was skeptical about this healthy lasagna recipe from Cooks.com, but I had whole wheat lasagna noodles, fresh broccoli, and ground turkey waiting in the wings (so to speak), so I thought I would give it a try.
I would never call lasagna Weight Watchers friendly, but this recipe has some redeeming value. I used whole wheat noodles (and yes, whole wheat noodles taste good and have a wonderful noodle texture), skim mozzarella, skim ricotta, mushrooms, chopped peppers, onion, garlic, broccoli, ground turkey and fresh basil.
This was good lasagna recipe for sure.
It was “blog worthy,” as my husband and I say. I have to say I would make it the next time with spinach instead of broccoli. The broccoli was good, and if you have kids it’s a good way to get them to eat broccoli, but for a lasagna, I still would prefer spinach. It’s just visually more appealing and the lasagna holds together better.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 48 ounces canned diced tomato
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 10 ounces broccoli, chopped
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Prepare sauce: In Dutch oven over high heat in hot olive oil, cook turkey and onion until lightly browned. Add tomato puree, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles and broccoli; drain well.
- In large bowl, mix cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan, nutmeg, and Mozzarella. Reserve 1/2 cup Mozzarella for topping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In 13 x 9 inch baking dish, evenly spoon 1 cup sauce. Arrange 1/3 of noodles over sauce. Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture over noodles. Spoon 2 cups sauce over cheese. Put all of broccoli in middle, then repeat layering twice. Sprinkle top with cheese. Bake 45 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Put foil under dish in oven - to catch any drips.
- Nutrition Information does not include whole wheat noodles.
Total Fat: 19.76g
Total Carbs: 19.00g
Dietary Fiber: 3.56g
Weight Watchers Points 8