This slenderized ground turkey gravy with leeks and sage is crazy good over mashed sweet potatoes.
When I need comfort food ground beef gravy over mashed potatoes comes to mind. It isn’t fancy dishes that take hours to prep, but the meals my mother served the family as I was growing up.
Lately, I’ve been in need of comfort food, and while beef gravy over mashed potatoes was appealing, I wanted more nutrition and fewer calories. With extra lean ground turkey breast and antioxidant packed sweet potatoes in the frig, I was off to a great start.
This ground turkey recipe was just what the doctor ordered. The combination of lean ground turkey breast in a savory sauce, mild leeks and creamy sweet potatoes were reminiscent of Thanksgiving, bringing with it warm feelings of loving times with family and friends – my definition of the perfect comfort food.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 cups sweet potato , cubed
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- 20 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 cup leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow squash, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup white wine
- Place sweet potatoes in a microwave bowl with 1 inch of water. Cover and microwave 8 - 10 minutes until potatoes are soft enough to mash with milk.
- Add oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks and sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add turkey and cook another 5 minutes, then add squash, sage, and thyme. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through.
- Combine cornstarch with chicken broth and wine.
- Increase the heat to medium high, then add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook 3 - 5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 419, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
Total Fat: 14.31g
Total Carbs: 36.68g
Dietary Fiber: 4.89g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.