I realize I’m on a chicken high these days, and you’re most likely wondering when I’m going to move on.
I’m afraid there’s no end to my imagination when it comes to chicken. My step dad used to say I could eat chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner – thus the need for an endless supply of recipes.
When Attune Foods sent me samples of their whole wheat cereal, I knew just what I wanted to make – chicken!
I’m a label reader, and their crunchy whole wheat flakes and nutty flaxseeds met my good-for-me criteria. How can you beat “Whole wheat kernels, whole flaxseed, salt, barley malt.”
No preservatives, no refined sugar – 4 ingredients.
Can’t go wrong there, and it makes the perfect ingredient for a cheesy, crunchy topping on this easy chicken pasta recipe.
Thank you Attune Foods. We truly enjoyed your cereal, and believe it or not, we had it for breakfast too.
- 1 ½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed into small pieces
- 4 cups carrot , shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh thyme, finely minced
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups low fat milk
- 2 cups quinoa pasta shells, or whole wheat pasta shells cooked and drained
- 1 cup Uncle Sam's Toasted Whole Wheat Cereal, crumbled
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add chicken, carrots and garlic and cook another 5 minutes until chicken is starting to cook through, then add zucchini, thyme and parsley. Cook another 5 minutes and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat and add oil and flour. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to cook flour. Slowly add chicken broth stirring constantly to remove lumps. Add milk and cook for 5 - 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add to chicken mixture and pasta, then spread into baking dish.
- Combine Uncle Sam's cereal and cheeses in another bowl and spread over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and allow cheese to lightly brown for another 5 minutes.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11
Total Fat: 15.67g
Total Carbs: 36.69g
Dietary Fiber: 3.43g