It could be that my homemade cranberry sauce wasn’t edible, or I made far too much of it. Whatever the case might have been, I had enough left to freeze for another day.
It’s a good thing too. I was expecting company, and the thought of shopping for more groceries was disheartening. My checking account had taken a definite hit during the holidays.
Those frozen cranberries and a recipe from Fox 4 for Cranberry Upside Down Cake were the perfect, economical solution to my dessert dilemma.
I had an inspired use for my not well liked – or just too much of – cranberry sauce, and I was even able to use the last of the pureed pumpkin to add moisture and flavor to this easy upside down cake.
When a guest cut a giant second serving of cake, I concluded that my original cranberry sauce wasn’t so bad. After all, it made a terrific cake.
As I said, nothing goes to waste in this house. Happy baking!
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups low sugar cranberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a large bowl, then add pumpkin, white and brown sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and sour cream until smooth. Add flour and fold in until combined.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and spread cranberry on the bottom and top with cake mix.
- Bake for 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes, the invert onto a plate.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 209 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Total Fat: 3.80g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 235mg Total Carbs: 40.23g Dietary Fiber: 2.32g Sugars: 28.49g Protein: 3.87g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.