My son hit the jackpot when he met Kieran. Not only is she pretty, but she’s a talented cook and can bake like there’s no tomorrow. Since Jason started dating Kieran he’s lost a few pounds. No more bachelor food – soda, beer, tortilla chips and salsa.
Kiery’s been creating recipes for vegan baked goods and sent me her lemony raspberry muffins to share with you. I like the addition of flax seeds – what a terrific source of those heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. And her use of whole wheat pastry flour makes for a tender muffin when you’re using whole wheat.
Thank you Kieran for your tasty contributions to this blog, and for taking such terrific care of my son.
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Flax Eggs- (2 TB Flax meal mixed with 6 TB water)
- 1.5 large banana, over ripe and mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 TBS lemon zest
- 2 cups Berries- I used Raspberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Coat a 9 x 5 pan with cooking spray.
- 3. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- 4. In a separate bowl beat together flax egg, banana, sugar, oil, almond milk and lemon zest.
- 5. Gradually add flour and beat until just combined.
- 6. Fold in raspberries and pour into pan.
- 7. Bake 50 – 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Or for Muffins- put into liners or spray muffin tin, cook for 25 min or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Berries in general are high in manganese, vitamin C and fiber. Berries are naturally high in phytonutrients called tannins that are considered to be responsible for antioxidant activity.
Flax seeds are a great way to get those heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids into your diet. They also contain manganese and a significant amount of fiber. They are most easily digested if they are ground first.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 1.68g
Total Carbs: 25.98g
Dietary Fiber: 3.94g
Weight Watchers Points 2
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.