You won’t find many curry recipes on this blog, as Mr. Mike believes curry tastes like soap.
I realize this is crazy thinking, but when you’ve been married for 33 years, you have to let some of these faulty assumptions go.
If you aren’t familiar with curry, it is described as “a spicy dish of vegetables or meat served with rice.”
So what’s not to like?
Probably my definition is too generic. Maybe I should include that most curry recipes use of a blend of spices like those in this statement from wiseGEEK:
“One common thread in many spice powder mixtures is turmeric, which gives curries a distinctive yellow color. Other popular spices in the mix include coriander, ginger, garlic, chilies, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, cumin and tamarind.”
It’s this combination Mr. Mike isn’t fond of, or so I thought.
Still, marriage is all about compromise, so this vegetable curry was served at a recent meal, much to Mike’s dismay.
I keep the calories down in my curry soups by omitting the coconut milk. Yes, I realize many curry fanatics would be disappointed to see their soup served sans coconut milk, but Mr. Mike loved it!
Who knew? Skipping the coconut milk was all it took to get him to enjoy curry without calling it “soap!”
Enjoy and have a terrific weekend! ~Kristi
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, sliced
- 4 tablespoons red curry paste
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high and add oil. When oil is hot add onion, carrots and celery and cook for 5 - 6 minutes to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until vegetables are tender.
- Tip: Taste broth and add more curry paste to your taste. Take care, though as flavors improve over time.
Food energy: 166kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4 Saturated fatty acids: 0.58g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.93g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.72g Total fat: 4.23g Calories from fat: 38 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 30.37g Total dietary fiber: 7.43g Protein: 3.61g Total lipid (fat): 4.74g Water: 502.65g Ash: 3.61g Total sugars: 10.70g Calcium: 104mg Iron: 2.81mg Magnesium: 57mg Phosphorus: 111mg Potassium: 819mg Sodium: 660mg
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”