Kick up your vegetable soup with fresh herbs!
As far as I’m concerned most vegetable soups are totally forgettable. The flavor is flat and does nothing to inspire me to take one more bite.
So what makes this simple vegetable soup recipe different? This tasty tip . . .
Pack in lots of fresh herbs and a nutty whole grain. Leafy herbs add life to any dish, but a vegetable soup can really use a boost from bay, thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, or even a handful of chopped parsley.
Fresh herbs perk up vegetables, and a nutty grain like the wheat berries I tossed into my soup pot turn a forgettable soup into a savory meal. I guarantee you’ll be toasting a whole grain roll to sop up all that savory goodness.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this Tasty Tip Tuesday. If you have healthy cooking tips, I’d love to hear them, so don’t forget to leave a comment.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrot , chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped with celery leaves included
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 10 ounces mushroom , sliced
- ½ cup wheat berries
- 10 cups water
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 large bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh and minced
- 2 tablespoons oregano, fresh and minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely minced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ small lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat and add oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add carrots and celery and cook another 5 minutes to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and gently simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until vegetables are soft and broth is reduced.
- Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 133 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3 Total Fat: 3.77g Cholesterol: -- Sodium: 354mg Total Carbs: 23.62g Dietary Fiber: 5.89g Sugars: 6.37g Protein: 3.53g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.
If you’re looking for healthy and low-calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.