How are you doing with our challenge to keep the holiday weight gain down this year? So far, so good, I hope!
I find spicy food so satisfying. Creole seasoning is tops on my list when it comes to spicing up a chicken recipe. The combination of paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne, etc. is perfect for this dish of peppers, black beans, onion and chicken breasts.
Best of all, you can eat the whole meal for under 400 calories!
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper , diced into large pieces
- 1 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, diced into large pieces
- 1 large onion, diced into large pieces
- 1 small jalepeno pepper , seeded and minced
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. Heat oil in non-stick pan over medium heat. Toss chicken with 2 tsp creole seasoning and saute for 5 minutes until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- 2. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to pan and add onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes until tender.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients and lower heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until liquid reduces.
- 4. Serve over brown rice.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Lean chicken breasts are a complete protein, with less saturated fat than beef. Chicken also has cancer protecting B vitamins, including Niacin and B6 for energy.
Bell peppers are off the charts in vitamins C and A, both antioxidants are believed to protect against heart disease and atherosclerosis, as well as promote lung and vision health. They also have B6 and folic acid known to reduce your risk of heart diseases. Lycopene in peppers helps with the prevention of cancers of the prostate, cervix, bladder and pancreas.
Total Fat: 8.16g
Total Carbs: 45.08g
Dietary Fiber: 7.21g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.