As a cook and food blogger, I often think I’m falling down on the job if I don’t build a recipe from scratch.
When my sister-in-law, Vanessa, raved about this healthy kale salad from PCC Natural Markets, I knew it had to be served just as she remembered it.
That kind look of masked disappointment would kill me if it fell short of her expectations.
I decided not to mess with a good thing, and boy was that a smart choice!
Today’s Tasty Tip?
When a dish comes as highly recommended as this salad recipe from PCC Natural Markets, I just make it as the recipe calls.
If I don’t, I risk disappointing those Emerald City Salad lovers who are happy with the salad recipe just as it is – especially my lovely sister-in-law.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Yields 8 servings
30 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
90 minTotal Time
- 1 cup wild rice, dry
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ bunch kale
- ½ bunch chard
- ½ large red bell (capsicum) peppers, diced
- ½ large yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ bulb fennel , diced
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- To cook rice bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then add 1/2 teaspoon salt and rice. Cook for up to one hour until the water is absorbed. Remove rice from the heat and cool. My rice didn't need to cook that long, so I would check to see when the rice is tender. Then if necessary drain water off in a colander and allow to cool.
- Make the dressing by whisking together oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Add to rice when cooled.
- Chop the remaining ingredients and toss with rice mixture when you're ready to serve.
Calories: 215 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Total Fat: 13.45g Cholesterol: -- Sodium: 315mg Total Carbs: 20.73g Dietary Fiber: 2.95g Sugars: 2.00g Protein: 4.12g
PCC Natural Markets has a large selection of very interesting salads and are kind enough to share their recipes with everyone.
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.