This weekend’s healthy recipe roundup shares the best oatmeal recipes around!
Way, way, way back in my teenage years when I worked at a local pharmacy, the pharmacist shared his secret to longevity and health. He said he ate a bowl of hearty, steaming oatmeal every morning.
There must be something to that sage advice since one of my go-to food resources, World’s Healthiest Foods, agrees all these years later.
I’ve taken his wise counsel to heart, so you’ll often find me in the kitchen making oatmeal breakfast cookies, baked oatmeal, old fashioned oatmeal, and steel cut oats. I even stir them into my yogurt when I need a quick start to the day.
I must admit, I get tired of my own oatmeal concoctions (though we love these oatmeal and apple pancakes), so let’s see what my fellow cooks have to share today.
- Blueberry Banana-Nut Oatmeal from Iowa Girl Eats – blueberries are a classic addition to oats, aren’t they? Add bananas and you have all the natural sweeteners you need.
- Overnight, No Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal from The Yummy Life – overnight oats are all the rage these days. I’ve yet to give this a try, but with berry season fast approaching, along with hot weather, I’m sure I’ll find these jars of goodness in my frig soon.
- Healthy Instant Oatmeal Packets from The Yummy Life – this terrific blogger does oats justice again with a primer for making your own preservative free instant oat packets. I bet these save money too!
- Southern Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal from Southern In Law – a pan of baked oats is terrific way to wake family up on the weekends. The aroma wafting towards their sleepy heads will get them out of bed for sure!
- Blueberry Cheesecake Oatmeal from Food Faith Fitness – I would serve this to guests for brunch without hesitation.
- No Flour, Sugar Free, Oil Free Oatmeal Muffins from Bren Did – If you know me, you know I can’t resist a muffin of any kind! Well, I draw the line at store purchased muffins. They’re just mini cakes with a “muffin” label.
- Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies from Family Fresh Meals – applesauce is a terrific way to reduce the fat and calories in a breakfast cookie.
- Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from The Skinny Fork – okay, I admit this isn’t probably a breakfast type oatmeal recipe, but I am a fan of the ingredients in this wheat free, lower sugar oatmeal cookie.
To close this weekend’s healthy recipe roundup, I have to share the MOST creative use for oats I’ve seen in my 55 years of oatmeal eating – Healthy Oat Smoothies from Five Heart Home.
It would never have occurred to me to toss oats into my morning smoothie, but you can bet I will now!
Don’t forget to follow along during the week. I’m always pinning new healthy recipes for the weekend!