Chili is one of my favorite meals.
High in fiber, low in fat (if you make it my way), with tons of protein, and so filling. But I was tired of the same old tomato based chili, and wanted to try a white bean chili. I was not disappointed!
This white bean and ground turkey chili recipe from Laaloosh was fantastic. I’ve added it to my list of favorite, heart-warming meals. It took less than 40 minutes to make, so it’s also a simple supper, considering you won’t have to cook the next night since there are plenty of leftovers.
I used chicken breast instead of ground turkey (only because we had already had turkey earlier in the weekend). The big surprise for me was the cinnamon! It added this savory, warm element to the chili. The pureed beans and just a little fat free half and half made it creamy and yummy.
Topped with low fat Monterey Jack cheese, chopped tomato, green onion, and cilantro, it’s not only hearty, but colorful.
As an aside, when you are sauteing the onion, garlic and meat, make double the amount. Freeze half for use in other recipes later in the week, or to make an easy wrap for lunch the next day. Just add lettuce and tomato. You’ll have a meal!
Serves Serving size is about 2 cups Each serving = 4 Weig
- Weight Watchers White Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
- - 1 large onion, chopped
- - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1 pound extra lean ground turkey (SHOULD BE ABOUT 120 CALORIES PER 4 OZ)
- - 2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
- - 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- - 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- - 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - Kosher salt to taste
- - ground cayenne pepper to taste
- - ground white pepper to taste
- - 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- - 1/2 cup fat free Half & Half
- - 2 – 3 cups fat free chicken broth (add as needed if chili is too thick)
- - 1/2 cup reduced fat, shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- - 1/2 cup green onions
- **OPTIONAL: Top with 1 tbsp of reduced fat sour cream (will not affect overall Points value)
- *Note: The White Bean Chili in the picture shows some pomegranate seeds and celery on top of the sour cream for garnish, which is a nice idea! But I used the reduced fat cheese and green onions instead.
- In a large pot over medium heat, or in a crock pot on medium, combine the onion, garlic and ground turkey and saute for 10 minutes, or until turkey is well browned. Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, cayenne pepper, and white pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add one can of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot. Take the second can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor. Add this to the pot along with the Half and Half. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes. If you are using this as a crock pot recipe, let simmer on low heat for about 2-4 hrs. Top each serving with 1/8 cup of reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese, green onions, and 1 tbsp of reduced fat sour cream (optional). Recipe makes 4 HUGE servings.