You won’t miss this meat in this slender meat-free lasagna with loads of tender mushrooms.
When I envision a plate of lasagna, pictures of gooey cheese, spicy sausage, colorful red sauce, and layers of noodles come to mind. Unfortunately, so does an abundance of calories and fat. This popular Italian dish isn’t typically on my light eater’s meal plan.
However, once in awhile the craving for a big plate of noodles hits like a ton of bricks. Then I’m off on the hunt for a lasagna recipe that I can justify putting on my plate.
This diet friendly lasagna uses mushrooms to replace the high-fat sausage, with shredded carrots and tomatoes to round out the filling. Add whole grain noodles, and I’m feeling pretty good about this dish.
Naturally, there wasn’t oodles of gooey cheese, but there was enough low-fat ricotta and nutty parmesan to satisfy my cravings.
You see? You can have a plate of lasagna and stick to your light eating plan if you give this recipe a try. Happy cooking!
- 6 large whole grain lasagna, 6 large noodles cooked al dente and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ? cup low fat ricotta
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup basil, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add onion and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes until tomatoes are cooked down. Add a pinch of red pepper.
- 2. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Ladle 1/3 of the tomato mixture on the bottom of the dish, then layer three large noodles. Top the noodles with 1/2 of the ricotta, 1/2 the parmesan and 1/2 the basil. Repeat for one more layer.
- 3. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 240, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 7.74g
Total Carbs: 30.35g
Dietary Fiber: 3.54g