Induction hobs are the latest innovation in cooking equipment. They are completely safe and use less energy. This cooktop meets every modern-day cooking requirement which makes this cooking equipment the best so far.
However, even as perfect as they look, they are vulnerable because they have a glass-ceramic top that can crack easily. This glass has a sizable amount of thickness but it’s not concrete so it can crack but not from daily usage. Though they can crack when used roughly by its handlers and it is expensive to fix. Now, this appliance is made with well-structured electronic design so if you give it to someone without much experience they can compromise the manufacturing technique.
How Do You Avoid Your Induction Hob from Cracking?
- The induction hob is made quite sturdy so for it to crack depends on how it was used. If you drop a pan or pot on it too hard that can crack the surface. Do not also drag your cookware across the surface as that can scratch the surface or drop cast iron cookware on the hob. Always carry and drop your pots gently on the surface.
- One benefit of this cooking equipment is that the technology is designed to let users place towels or newspapers across the surface when you want to make use of the cooker to protect the surface from scratches and spillage. So when you want to use an old pan with a rough bottom on the cooker, you can place towels or newspapers across the surface.
- Do not place heavy objects including cans and jars on the cooktop surface. If you do, they can crack the surface accidentally when you’re trying to take them off or they can leave rings on the surface which is not good for its technology.
- Don’t leave your hot lids on the surface because when you place them on the surface hot air gets trapped underneath which can cause a crack when you try to take off the cover.
- Don’t also leave objects that can melt or defrost across the heating zone of the surface. If you do, try cleaning them off while the surface is still warm to avoid any marks or cracks.
- Don’t cut anything on the induction hob to avoid cracking it. While the cooktop is not in use, use the child lock option to avoid any accidents.
- Don’t use oversize cookware on the surface. Always try to use a pot with the same diameter as the cooktop to safeguard the top.
- Don’t place the induction pot too close to a slab or clustered area. Always try to clean the surface after use and store it in a safe place when not in use. Place a cover over it and place it in an area that far away from anything heavy so they don’t fall on the surface accidentally.
- When you’re done cooking, take your pots away from the cooking surface. Don’t leave them there.
- Don’t rush to wipe the surface clean after cooking. Kindly wait for the surface to cool down because when you wipe a warm surface with cold water, they can cause the surface to crack due to a change in temperature.
- Lastly don’t place any really hot items on the cold surface. Don’t think of and use the surface like a table or part of your kitchen countertop.
What Do You Do When Your Cooktop Has Cracked?
- If you mistakenly go against the advice above and cause your cooktop to crack, you can immediately wipe the scratch to an extent with water and baking soda. There are also special creams you can use to clean the induction cooktop to remove the scratch.
- However cracked cooktops require professional help to repair and restore to the original state. A non-technical person cannot repair these cracks. What you can do is to look for a technically skilled individual to repair the hob.
- If the hob still has a warranty, you can call the customer care service of the manufacturer and have them repair the cooktop. If while using the cooktop it cracks as a result of the quality of its glass, the manufacturer will bear the cost of repair. If it cracks as a result of rough handling by the user, the user will bear the cost of its repair.
Depending on how the induction hob is used, it still has its lifespan and calculated working period. However, they don’t get damaged easily. So have no fear of it cracking easily except it is rough handled or it encounters an accident.